My ministry of cooking, canning, growing, and sharing!



My ministry of cooking, canning, growing, and sharing!

Three years ago we bought a small farm with ten acres. The property had a mucky creek on the South side that was covered in raspberry brambles and poison ivy. The back six acres were so overgrown that I couldn't make it half way through the first pasture. There was mud, 10 foot tall weeds, about ten million ground hogs, and a house with "fabulous" 80's wall paper on EVERY surface. I looked at this property and my mind was spinning with possibilities of what I could grow, raise, and even forage off this little plot of land. My husbands mind, who was standing in nearly the exact same spot, was spinning with the thought of how much work he had ahead of him.

From my Farm to my Kitchen is a way for me to share my stories, recipes, failures, and successes. It is a way for me to tell you how sharing with others has opened the flood gates for abundant blessings, new friendships, and great lessons.

We have fought to "take back" parts of our property that had been swallowed by willows and scrub trees. My husband has suffered the wrath of the evil wood emperor, Sir Poison Ivy and our five children have worked tirelessly to help with chores like, "go get Mommy some basil" or I KNOW there's a Morel out there, GO FIND IT!

Please enjoy this glorious adventure with our family. Learn the lessons that I stumbled over, take the great recipes that I share and leave the miserable ones. I am hoping to write each day but you never know if the kitchen or the laundry monster will get me!!

Monday, August 23, 2010

The itsy bitsy spider

I have always been fascinated by spiders.  I know, S-P-I-D-E-R-S!  My mom, sister, and daughter are all terrified by them.  I guess something must have happened when I was young or maybe I was simply born without the "spider fear".  I even remember picking them up and playing with them and, of coarse, I am the first one to "save" the spiders when they show up in our house.

On my way to the barn last night I notice a giant wolf spider spinning it's nightly web. I do mean GIANT.  This bugger was the size of a half dollar.  They spin these amazing elaborate webs every single evening.  I meant to bring the camera out of the house and take a photo before the sun set but I just got caught up in other things.  

Soooo....I went out this morning to let the birds out of the barn.  Lazily sauntering across the lawn toward the field.  I was actually eating a plate of Cabbage, Noodles, and Kielbasa from last nights dinner.  I know, gross.  Anyway, on my way out I walked FULL FORCE into the ENORMOUS web.  This thing went from 20 ft up the pine tree 30 feet across to the crabapple and down to the ground.  I think this spider was intent on catching one of the children!  Now I've already stated that I am NOT afraid of spiders so I am really really glad that no one but me was around.  Suddenly I am covered head to toe in web and a fine assortment of DEAD BUGS!  Did I scream?  No.  Did I nearly tossed my cookies from the mouthful of bugs when I opened my mouth to try? YES!  The other issue is WHERE IS THE SPIDER???

I dropped my food on the ground and started spinning in circles.  Of coarse it only wound the rest of the web around my entire body but it seem to make sense at the time.  After dancing and yelping for a couple minutes, I calmed down.  I guess I realize the spider wasn't going to eat me after all.   I got the web off my face and arms and decided a good shower would get the rest.  

Let me say that the birds didn't get out until much later in the day and I think I ate about 5 bugs.  Considering the average per year is 1/2 pound, I think I had my fill this morning.  

So, "What is the lesson?", you say.  Even though I am not really "afraid" of spiders, I AM afraid of not being in control of them.  I suppose I will watch my step tomorrow morning and hopefully Mr. Wolf will build elsewhere tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment